Monday, February 25, 2013

The Power Of Words



Yesterday I was out with a good friend of mine. We just talked about life and torts the end we started talking about the power of our words!
So I would love to share some stuff God has been teaching me about the power of words!
First of all he has started a process in me a long time ago of speaking truth over myself. Isn’t it true that we look at ourselves in the mirror and tons of thoughts come up. Maybe things people have called us. Things we have called ourselves. We might see a failure.. But that isn’t true. I had to learn to speak life over myself and not death. I used to say things over myself that I am not good enough, not beautiful enough, that I can’t sing as good as someone else. I called myself fat, ugly, a failure and lots of other things. But there was a point when God told me really strongly that I have to stop with that. So I started speaking truth over myself. In the beginning it was really hard to call myself a good singer, or beautiful, or worth to be persued,  or even loved by God. But the more I told myself this truth, the more I believed it and it was easier to say it again.
And because God has put me in this process he has also given me the authority to teach other girls this truth. I am so angry at the devil. I am so sad to see girls calling themselves names! I am so tired of seeing girls starve cause they try to fit into the picture of the worldly beauty….

The second thing about the power of words that God has been teaching me, is to speak life over the people around me. A few weeks ago God challenged me to only speak good things about other people. If they're not life giving I should just not say anything at all. He told me if the person I was talking about would hear me, would this person be encouraged or discouraged! That was a hard one and it still is. I have to bit my tongue a lot. Cause it is so easy to speak out what we think when we are frustrated about someone. It really helps sometimes to go to someone and just let it out. But what if we let out those frustration at the feet of Jesus?! He understands us. And He can handle our words and our anger. Just last week I know I have been failing in this. Cause I have started my new job and there was so much to learn. And sometimes I felt not understood by the people who taught me and I got mad. And I just wanted to go to a friend and tell them how bad these people treated me and I did. 
I am glad that it is not the end of the world. Cause God’s grace never ends. I am glad that I have a God of second chances and I will defenetely try to be better this week. And the best thing is I don’t have to do it alone. God is with me and he will give me strength and self-control!!

And the third thing he is teaching me is, to speak truth over my future. So often we pray for things but when we talk about it to our friends, we talk as if it’ll never happen anyways. Or we constantly worry about it or complain.
For example, you might work at a place and your boss is treating you terribly. You start to pray that the Holy Spirit will change her/his heart. But whenever you talk about it you say “I pray for it but it it will never change”!
Or you have a husband who isn’t as strong in his walk with God like you desire him to be. You pray that the Holy Spirit will touch his heart and raise him up to a leader, but when you meet up with your girls you constantly complain how he never changes!
Or I hear lots of girls saying that they pray for their future husband to come. But when they talk about it they say something like “oh I might die as an old virgin”, or “there are no good men out there”!

God takes our words very serious. We gotta be careful with what we say. But we can ask God to give us new perspective on situations. And we can ask him for faith. But we also gotta work on our words and we gotta learn to control our tongues!!
Be encouraged and really start speaking truth. Bring heaven on earth with your words and encourage the people around you with your words and attitude.

The tongue can bring death or life. Those who love to talk will reap the consequences. Proverbs 18.21

But the words you speak come from the heart, that’s what defiles you. Matth. 15:18

Those who control their tongue will have a long life. Opening your mouth can ruin everything. Proverbs 13.3

Kind words are like honey – sweet to the soul and healthy for the body. Proverbs 16:24

May the words of my mouth and the meditation of my heart be pleasing to you, O Lord, my roch and my redeemer. Psalm 19.14

Let your conversation be gracious and attractive so that wou will have the right response for everyone! Colossians 4.6

0 comments: